Sunday morning I work up and had awful cramps. I just kept hoping they would get better and trying to do things to make them go away, but after 6 hrs they still persisted. I wanted to wait it out a little longer but Steve insisted that I go to the hospital to get checked. At the hospital I was hooked up to the machines to see if I was contracting, and at first I was not. But Adam's heart rate was not going up and down like they wanted it to. So I was sent to have an ultrasound. During the ultrasound, they did a biophysical profile, it's just a score they give babies to judge how good they are handling things. Adam's score was only 4/8 because his fluid was so low and he was not practicing his breathing. They also ran a test to see if I was likely to go into labor within the next 2 weeks. (The Ffn test)
We got back from ultrasound and the nurse was kind of panicked at the biophysical profile score and decided to hook me back up to the monitor. It was already decided that I would be staying the night for observation anyway. The Ffn test came back negative, so I was at lower risk of going into labor on my own. Then I started having lots of contractions. They weren't all that painful just really uncomfortable. The nurse told me that she had spoke with the dr on call and they were going to have the MFM dr on call talk and decide if they needed to deliver now. They even called the NICU to let them know that we might be delivering a premature baby with special needs. I started to get really nervous. Not only was I not ready to have Adam yet but I wasn't in St.Petersberg where I needed to be and I did not want him transferred up there while I was still there.
Finally they contractions stopped and Adam's heart rate started to look better, going up and down like they liked it. The OB on call came into my room and and did an ultrasound of her own. She was able to see Adam breathing and got an amniotic fluid index score of 2.2. Much better than the ultrasound tech had gotten. So were were safe for the time being! I was hooked up to the monitor all night and everything seemed to be fine.
I had an ultrasound this AM and Adam was practicing breathing again but his fluid was already down to 0.79. My OB and the MFM dr that had been following me came in and decided to send me home on bedrest. I have an appt tmrw in St.Pete to see the MFM there for their opinion. My Ob advised me to pack a suitcase because they might want to keep me for the duration of the pregnancy and even said that if this wasn't mentioned then I should bring it up myself.
Sorry if this post isn't very easy to follow but it is very hard to think these days. Leaving Allison last night was awful and I am not looking forward to being away from her for longer periods of time. If I talk to anyone and seem a little short or impatient, please don't take it personal. All of this is really starting to take a toll on me mentally and I really am doing the best I can to handle everything that has been thrown at me. Please continue to keep us in your prayers!!